Monday – Praying For Ourselves
1. Sound mind: We thank You Father that You have made it possible for us to have sound minds, to be free of anxious, fearful, unclean, selfish or useless thoughts.
Confess scripture verses: “Prepare your minds for action, be self-controlled and set your hopes fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.”
The end of all things is near, so help us to be self-controlled and clear minded so that we can pray. You have not given us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of love, power and a sound mind.
So we will set our mind on things above where Jesus Christ is seated at Your right hand, dear God. We will not set our minds on earthly things, but on heavenly things. With Your help we will be transformed by the renewing of our minds.
Grant us the grace to be sober and vigilant for our enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour. We ask that You protect us from his deception.
2. Humility: Grant us the grace to walk in humility before You all the days of our lives.
For we know that You resist the proud but give grace to the humble. We know that a haughty spirit goes before a fall and pride before destruction. Strengthen us so that we do not yield to pride.
We will clothe ourselves with humility, gentleness, patience, kindness and love.
3. Waiting on God: Help us to learn in quietness and to wait patiently for You to act, for this is good. You Lord are good to those who wait on You. In quietness and trust is our strength.
As we wait upon You, we will soar on wings as eagles. We have put our trust in You, and we will never be put to shame.
4. Growing in love: Help us to love You with all our heart, with all our soul and with all our strength, and help us love our neighbour as ourselves.
We will love our enemies and choose to bless those who curse us.
Help us to look out for the interests of others above our own, and to love others deeply from the heart. For we know that love covers a multitude of sins.
5. Freedom from fear and anxiety: Thank You Jesus for You have said: “Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest”.
You have seen all our tears and know our longings. Therefore we will cast all our cares on You for you will sustain us and liberate us to walk in boldness.
You have said that the righteous are as bold as a lion. Therefore we will not fear, for You have overcome the world.
Your perfect love O God, casts out fear from our heart, for fear has to do with punishment. We thank You for this relationship of love we enjoy with Christ.
6. Protection: Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Protect us by the power of Your name.
Help us to reject sin. Keep us free from envy, jealousy, bitterness, anger, hatred, sexual immorality and lying.
(Confess: Submit to God, resist the devil, and he will flee from you).
You know all the dangers that beset us and You are able to deliver us from every snare of the enemy.
7. Finishing the race: Father, keep us from backsliding or falling into sin, from growing cold, or lukewarm.
Let Your word remain in us and produce much fruit. The cares of the world, the anxieties of life and the deceitfulness of wealth can choke away our spiritual growth, so help us remain vigilant. Help us not to grieve, or worse to quench Your Holy Spirit. Keep us also from hard testing.
We realize that in ourselves we are weak and vulnerable, but our strength is in You. We choose not to love the world or the things that are in the world.
Thank You, Jesus for You are able to keep us from falling, and to present us faultless before the throne of Our Father on that day.
8. Relationships: We pray for Your special grace in all our relationships, so that we can draw close to You, and draw others to you.
Help us always to seek peace and to pursue it; to be a blessing and not a hindrance. Grant us the grace to reveal Your love, faithfulness, mercy and power, and to reflect Christ in our relationships.
9. Speech: Place a bridle over our mouth and set a guard over our tongue, O Lord.
Let no unwholesome talk come from our mouth, but only that which is useful for building up. Let our conversation be full of grace, seasoned with salt. Let us remain faultless in our speech, so that our whole body is brought under control.
Grant us readiness to give an answer to all who ask us to give the reason for the hope that we have, and help us do it with gentleness and respect. Help us to remain prepared in season and out of season.
10. Prayer life: Grant us the spirit of prayer and intercession, and let Your Holy Spirit teach us to pray as we ought. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective, so help us lead blameless lives.
Show us clearly the specific hindrances in our own lives to receiving answers, and strengthen us to overcome these. Let our prayers be unselfish, and may souls be won, and lives be transformed for Your glory. May our lives be an offering of prayer and sacrifice before You.
11. Seeking the lost: He who wins souls is wise. Grant us a deep compassion for the lost and let us share Your concern for the backslidden. Help us remain active in sharing our faith. Use us to encourage those who are weak.
12. Thoughts: Finally, O Father when we leave this “prayer closet”, our thought life continues. So we earnestly pray that our thoughts may be pleasing in Your sight and that we will not allow the enemy an upper hand in this area. Grant us victory over our minds and let no wicked or unclean thought gain access into our hearts.
Help us think thoughts that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Help us bring every thought captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ. Let us fix our thoughts on Jesus, the Author and Perfector of our faith.
Teach us Your ways, so that we may be pleasing in Your sight. Help us to remain conscious of You, so that our thoughts, words and actions are pleasing to You. For we ask all this in Jesus’ name.